As of last week, there’s a new retelling on bookshelves in the form of Diana Peterfreund’s For Darkness Shows the Stars, which places a dystopian, fantasy-esque twist on Jane Austen’s beloved Persuasion; a twist that has left readers breathless.
Why should you check it out? Ten book bloggers are about to tell you!
1. Megan Saldecki @ Luxury Reading says: “If you’re expecting a novel where the female damsel-in-distress always needs aid from the male hero, you aren’t going to get it here. Elliot holds her own. She could go down in young adult history as one of the strongest main characters, in my opinion.”
2. Kris @ Imaginary Reads says: “…a gripping dystopian novel that will break your heart to pieces as you share Elliot’s heartbreak over her choice in duty over love.”
3. Kristy @ Dark Faerie Tales says: “For Darkness Shows the Stars is a beautiful and enchanting novel that I couldn’t put down. The tension just sucked me right in. I wanted to know the secrets and what was going to happen next. This is a novel that I could read again and again.”
4. Mary @ The Book Swarm says: “You know that gaping emptiness when you finish a book, an emptiness that seems will never be filled by another story? One that makes you stare off into space, absently brushing your fingers across the cover of the book as if you could magically dive back into that world and be deeply involved yet again with those people and their lives? Yes. This. This book did it to me.”
5. Anna @ Anna Reads says: “I can’t remember the last time I read a book where I was just ACHING inside from start to finish. There’s so much pain and regret and sorrow in these pages. It just SLAYS me. But, don’t get me wrong, it’s not like…a weepfest. There’s also so much beauty and hope and possibility and friendship and CAN YOU TELL I LOVED IT?!”
6. Lauren @ 365 Days of Reading says: “Something about For Darkness Shows the Stars that baffles me (and this was also true with Persuasion) is how the author manages to take an absolutely despicable guy (Kai) and make me love him. Fans of sci-fi, dystopia, and romance, take heed: For Darkness Shows the Stars is the book you need. I would highly recommend it! (Just buy it, okay? Trust me.)”
7. Katie @ After the Last Page says: “I cried through a lot of this – not because it’s sad, but because it’s so beautiful. It’s written so wonderfully that Austen would be proud of the retelling of Persuasion.”
8. Angie @ Angieville says: “Everything about this book soars, from its supernal setting to the dreams its characters hold in their hearts.”
9. Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog says: “For Darkness Shows the Stars is such a completely unique, wonderful story. Diana Peterfreund’s futuristic reimagining of Jane Austen’s Persuasion will blow readers away. Fans of the original will love it and those who haven’t read the original will be dying to.”
10. April @ Good Books and Good Wine says: “If you buy one book based on my recommendations in 2012, let For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund be it. Friends, this book pierces my soul. I took my sweet time with this read, because I feel there’s a disservice if you read it in one big gulp instead of taking time to emote and process those feelings.