Inspired by this week’s new release, SPELLCASTER by Claudia Gray, we’ve put together an essential list of pop culture witches you must get to know. Which witch would make your list?
DISCLAIMER: Before we get started, we should mention that the ten witches below were chosen because you don’t regularly see them on “top witches” lists on the interwebs. Therefore, you will not see the most “common witches” on this list. We can just all agree right here and right now that Willow Rosenberg from Buffy and Hermione Granger from Harry Potter are two of the greatest witches. . . ever.
Now that’s out of the way, let’s get to our list.
1. Salem the cat of Sabrina the Teenage Witch - While we have nothing but love and respect for Sabrina, it is her smart-mouthed, talking cat that we love the most about this show. Everything Salem said was ripe with sarcasm. . . or wisdom.
2. Bonnie Bennett of The Vampire Diaries – While her storyline has been less than stellar this season of The Vampire Diaries, we still love and appreciation the moral center of this show.
3. All of the ladies of The Craft – No list of essential witches is complete without this 90s gem of a film. Which witch was your favorite from this movie?
4. Wicked Witch of the West of The Wizard of Oz – She’s like a witchy Shrek with that green skin and a Quidditch all star player with that broom. She was the original bad witch and ,we claim, still the best.
5. The Halliwell Sisters of Charmed – Cast changes be damned. We love these witchy sisters no matter who plays them.
6. Ridley Duchannes of Beautiful Creatures – She’s powerful, she’s beautiful, she’s completely psychotic and manipulative. WE HATE TO LOVE RIDLEY.
7. Cassie Blake of The Secret Circle – We still maintain that this show ended too soon. Oh well, at least we have one more book in the series to keep us going.
8. The Sanderson Sisters of Hocus Pocus – BEST. MOVIE. EVER. (Feel free to debate us on this in the comments.)
9. Grand High Witch from The Witches – The witches in this book/movie has square feet. SQUARE FEET! Did that not horrify you as a child? No? Maybe this scene did then:
10. Regina from Once Upon A Time – She is probably the most powerful witch on this list. Seriously, is there anything she CAN’T do?
Which witch is your favorite? Spellcaster by Claudia Gray is available in bookstores and ebook now!